
A bitter old man is transformed when he takes in a war refugee in this moving Masterpiece Theatre adaptation of Michelle Magorian's World War II novel. When young Willie (Nick Robinson) is evacuated from London and sent to live in a small village, grumpy Tom (John Thaw) begrudgingly agrees to harbor the boy. Gradually, Tom manages to coax the distrustful lad from his shell, and when it's time for Willie to return to London, the two realize the depth of their bond.
This is a good family film. Except for a few moments when Willie is abused, physically by his mother, this film has little to be offended by. The story is heartwarming with scenes of humor, and sadness mixed with hope and courage. Grumpy old Tom is transformed as Willie fills a void in his heart, and Willie find his own salvation by the hands of the one who won’t love him instead of the one who should have. The love that builds is a testimony that even the hardest of hearts can be changed. –>Kimball****
What a great movie! I cried like a baby, though. I have such a soft spot for little babies and children that have to go through that. It makes me want to take them all in and give them as much love as I possibly can. I loved the story.
ReplyDelete