Haunted by the death of her mother, 14-year-old Lily (Dakota Fanning) escapes the dreary life she lives on her father's farm and heads to Tiburon, S.C., with her friend and caregiver, Rosaleen (Jennifer Hudson), setting off on a life-changing journey of self-discovery. Set amidst the hotbed of racial tensions in the South in the 1960s, Gina Prince-Bythewood's dramatic tale is based on the bestselling novel by Sue Monk Kidd.This is a movie that deals with racism during the Civil Rites Act, and the emotions that were felt at that time. Lily seeks to find answers to her past and some love in her life. She finds it in the most unexpected way! Three sisters take her in, teach valuable lessons on life, and prove that unconditional love and forgiveness is what gets you through it all. This is a great cast! Dakota Fanning and Jennifer Hudson are fantastic, as usual. I enjoyed the novel and feel that Gina Prince-Bythewood did well making this film.--->Sarah
Netflix link to The Secret Life of Bees
Well, I watched it. I thought it was well directed, and Miss Fanning did an awsome job, very convincing actress. The story was a great one and the lessons taught about love and forgiving, and faith in what you feel is right were very well taught. But, for the most part the show was depressing and dark. Ok, maybe it was like that for folks durring that time, but it could have used a few more "happy thoughts." The language was a bit course, mostly from Lily's father taking the name of God in vain, something that has been hard for me to "get used to." I'm not sure that I would recomend this film, mostly because of the language, however, there are good things to be learned from it. ***
ReplyDeleteHm...sorry about the language issue. I couldn't remember what it was like exactly, and netflix didn't give any reminders. I saw it a while back. I don't appreciate movies that take God's name in vain either. Anyway, as far as dark and depressing? I don't think it was any worse then "Goodnight Mr. Tom". Maybe I appreciated it because I read the book? And I thought of you when she talked about the bees. Netter luck next time!
ReplyDeleteYea, I can see that. I liked the "bee talk." I thought "Goodnight Mr. Tom" was dark and depressing also, but what an ending. Anyway, I just wasn't lifted as much with this one. And what about the "dark Mary?" That was a bit strange. I don't mean to bash the movie really. Remember, this is a forum for our individual feelings. No one gets defensive here.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, I forgot about the "dark Mary"! That WAS weird. But, I find legends, religions, and history interesting, so I saw it from a different angle. I see where you're coming from, though. I guess I forgot about a lot of things? I tend to walk away from a movie thinking and analyzing it, until I sometimes even forget what the name of the film was. Don't worry about offending me, dad. I'm not getting defensive. I'm just merely having a conversation with you, and I'm enjoying it!
ReplyDeleteYou know, from a purely analytical perspective, this show did have a lot to concider. It was masterfuly written and directed. A class act really. I guess my criticisms of it were mostly out of my feelings about Lily's father. He was just offensive to me. But I guess his character was suppose to offensive. He was a case for analylizing himself. He was not all bad and his problem was born out of missunderstanding and depression about the loss of his wife, and blaming it on Lily. If I had watched it without Grandma I may not have been quite so critical of it.
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should have code for "not a Grandma movie"! HaHa...ok, I'm kidding. What is a Grandma movie, anyway? I can see why she didn't like this one.
ReplyDeleteGet this, she loves Patriot, Air Force One and few other "violent" flicks. It's when the Lord's name is used that she gets upset. But I can relate to that.
ReplyDelete