Steven Spielberg directed this story about the 1839 revolt aboard Spanish slave ship La Amistad and the uprising's tragic aftermath. An African-born slave (Djimon Hounsou) leads a mutiny against his brutal captors. Because the ship is in American waters, a U.S. court must decide the slaves' fate. In an eloquent courtroom speech, ex-president John Quincy Adams (Anthony Hopkins) argues for the Africans' freedom.Very interesting history. Very well made. Great performances by all including Matthew McConaughey and Morgan Freemanand. I was suprised that I hadn't heard of this film. The twists and turns of this story are great. It is very mature in its theme and drama. There are some disturbing scenes involving torture of slaves and black slave nudity. Small children should not watch this. For history sake and awareness I say this is a must see. Some may dissagree with me, but oh well, se la vi. -->Kimball****
Netflix link to Amistad
No comments:
Post a Comment